MANILA, Philippines – Every April 28, the world celebrates International Girls in ICT Day to empower every girl and woman to access equal access and opportunity the internet provides.
This is even more relevant in these unconventional times of working and homeschooling.
Here in the Philippines, tech-savvy women continue to grow with young moms opening online businesses and setting up e-commerce stores to improve their livelihoods. Still at home, the girls and teens continue to excel in their studies and even pursue their passion for online content creation, proving that digital native Filipinos are not left behind when it comes to learning. acts to populate the online space.
And so, “kaka-internet mo ‘yan!” is no longer the rebuke it once was, but has evolved into something of a reclaimed slogan of empowerment for Pinays of all ages.
The empowerment they deserve
When we look at the numbers, it’s inspiring to know how the male-to-female ratio of internet users has evolved over the past decade.
The Philippines consistently made up 50% of internet users from 2006 to 2019. Moreover, a Social Weather Station survey in 2019 reveals that it was women who used the internet more often than men.
READ MORE: Women use the internet more than men in the Philippines — SWS
Given these figures, it is not surprising that improving access to ICTs such as the Internet helps promote employment and other opportunities that can reduce the gender gap in digital technologies. .
Through this, women can be empowered, whether they are working from home or running online businesses, whether they are stay-at-home moms helping their children with online lessons, or content creators. , players and developers.
Convergeas a leading ICT solutions company in the country, recognizes their needs and bridges the internet gaps for women.
Just in time for International Girls in ICT Day, the company presents FiberX time of daya unique, first-to-market and award-winning digital solution that offers affordable and flexible packages that meet the different bandwidth needs of Filipinos, perfect for work and school activities.
FiberX Time of Day enables high internet speeds at a pre-set time of day. The Time of Day Plan 2000 offers a base speed of 100 Mbps which can be turbocharged up to 200 Mbps.
Plan 3000, on the other hand, comes with a base speed of 300 Mbps which can be doubled up to 600 Mbps.
Subscribers can choose from two offers available for FiberX Time of Day:
- Daily pass – It works best for students, employees working from home, and mothers guiding their children through online education, among others. With this plan, the bandwidth doubles at peak times of the day, i.e. from 7 a.m. to 6:59 p.m.
- Night Package – This is ideal for work-from-home employees working in different time zones, and for streamers who work nights as well as shift workers in cemeteries and more. With this plan, the bandwidth doubles during peak hours during the night, i.e. from 7 p.m. to 6:59 a.m.
Answer the call
Indeed, there is no one-size-fits-all solution to pervasive gender issues in digital technology and ICT use. This requires multisectoral efforts from public and private actors.
To date, digital technology and ICT are areas of inequality for many reasons, including discrimination, lack of resources, and the gender pay gap.
As we seek to elevate the discourse, it is important that we are already making strides to make education and infrastructure more accessible to women and girls so they can progress easily.
For example, governments should seek to implement policies to help support the rights of women and girls so they can navigate these waters without hesitation or fear. This means strengthening safeguards and sanctions in the event of harassment, abuse or discrimination.
In the private sector, access, especially to the Internet, should be made cheaper and more accessible to more and more women and girls in the country, just when they need it most.
Converge is leading the way and making it happen for every Filipina. Here are some of the benefits it promises to deliver today and beyond:
- Up to 100 Mbps and 300 Mbps can be doubled up to 200 Mbps and 600 Mbps, respectively, depending on subscribers’ time preference.
- FiberX operates over an end-to-end pure fiber connection that provides stability and consistency.
- Save up to twice their monthly plan with double the speed for existing customers. Subscriptions translate to P66 per day with a base speed of 100 Mbps that can be doubled up to 200 Mbps at customers’ preferred time.
- Converge plans can be managed through the GoFiber web portal or mobile app, making it easy for customers to request a new plan. With the new platforms, they can also upgrade their plan or pay their bills and access customer service.
With Converge’s FiberX Time of Day, Filipinos can better navigate and exploit digital spaces. The goal, after all, is to empower them to become effective co-creators of sustainability in different spheres of society.
For existing subscribers who wish to upgrade their plan, you can do so through upgrade-now.convergeict.com while new subscribers can apply through the GoFiber app or the website at https://www. convergeict.com/fiberx-time-of-day/. — WITH EUDEN VALDEZ