With ever-evolving digital design, the future indicates the creation of functional and immersive experiences that seamlessly merge augmented reality, virtual reality and 3D printing.
The rapidly changing digital landscape, internet dominance, technological advancements and software solutions are having a significant impact on design trends. This has led to digital design gaining more momentum than print media. Today it is a pioneer with undeniable potential for user engagement and participation. It is about designing creations that enhance and facilitate interactivity when using a wide variety of digital interfaces with different screen sizes, such as desktops, laptops, smartphones, smartwatches, tablets, etc.
The way we do business has changed. With consumers preferring to interact through online channels, businesses have had to go digital. He stressed the need to offer visual content and an experience that can be âused interactivelyâ instead of being static.
Smartphone users in India are expected to reach 760 million this year, while the projected growth of Internet users is expected to reach 974 million users by 2025. This supports the exponential potential of digital design as an option for career.
What sets digital design apart?
- Digital design lacks physical boundaries and deliverables are different. These include interactive banner ads, infographics, websites, UX wireframes, graphics, and animations.
- It requires a deep understanding of typography, colors, technology and operating software, platforms and digital formats to create high performance, better resolution designs.
- Feedback via analytical metrics including likes, shares, downloads, and pageviews is almost instantaneous. Designers need to be quick to review and respond to them.
- Fast consumption means continuous efforts to retain interest and keep the design relevant and focused.
Career opportunities in digital design
Today’s hyper-connected world amply supports a career in this field. The versatility of digital design allows a student to work in industries such as games, animation, web design, television and video production, product design, social media, marketing, and the arts.
To excel, it is important to identify the right course from a reputable institute like the Indian Institute of Art and Design. They provide a program that prepares and guides students to acquire knowledge in communication design while exposing them to gain experience in photography, videography, animation, graphic design and skills in software like Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Adobe XD , Sketch and Dreamweaver. They are also equipped to train students with employable skills to translate ideas and concepts into actionable reality.
Students can choose to develop their skills in the following areas:
- Creating website design, landing page design and interactive banner ads to market a product or service.
- Design of apps for different devices offering multiple functions such as shopping, playing music, etc. Create branded app icon designs to launch an app.
- Infographics to create shareable, lively and engaging content.
- Social media page design to create custom designs for different media.
- Design e-readers with downloadable content on any device.
- Design of emails that engage the readership and design of PowerPoint templates to meet presentation needs.
- Create a 3D design to present realistic images of a product or construction project for exhibition purposes.
Workspace can range from a studio or design agency to a marketing agency or web development office, home office, coworking space to freelancers and digital nomads. After the pandemic, remote working has grown in popularity. Salaries can also vary based on workspace, specialization, level of experience, and location.
Digital designers are in high demand today and have a number of possibilities open to them. It all depends on their transferable skills and what they are passionate about. Are they drawn to visual aesthetics and prefer to work with color and typography? Or do they like to discuss their needs with customers, stakeholders and users?
Students can aim to work in any of four main areas including UX, User Interface, Product Design, Interaction Design, and beyond.
- User Experience Designer (UX): Focuses specifically on the functionality and usability of a digital product.
- User Interface (UI) designers: are concerned with the look and feel of a digital product, focusing on the visual elements of an interface. They work closely with the UX designer, building on the foundation they laid to bring the digital interface to life with color, typography and shapes and support user behavior through the accessibility and desirability through interaction with the product.
- Digital Product Designer: Create responsive design using software. They go beyond the user experience and focus more on the business and the brand, reflecting on how the digital product works, its cost, and the broader scope of the product in the business context.
- Video Game Designer: Create the content, gameplay, environment, storyline, characters, and controls for a game.
- Special Effects Designer: Create effects or animations for products, games, movies, music videos, and advertisements.
- Digital Developer: Provide visual direction throughout the coding process.
With ever-evolving digital design, the future indicates the creation of functional and immersive experiences that seamlessly merge augmented reality, virtual reality and 3D printing. Now is the right time for young visual communication design students to embark on this technology-driven career to become creators with the power to influence the history of the digital world.